What is Leap?
Leap is unique to Suffolk and provides access to free and impartial, high quality information, advice and guidance to everyone seeking education or training opportunities and careers advice. Leap also works with businesses wishing to improve the skills of their workforce.
Leap is a hub for all adult learning courses in Suffolk, whether you wish to raise your employment prospects, learn a new creative skill or improve your confidence and self-esteem.
How do I find out what courses are available?
- Leap is the umbrella brand for adult learning courses in Suffolk therefore various types and levels of courses are available. This can include English, Maths and Computer Courses, ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Courses, Preparation for Work Courses, Leisure Learning Courses and also access to further and higher education.
- Courses vary in duration and times so it is easy to find one that fits around your current commitments.
- You can search the database of almost 6000 courses from approx. 400 learning providers on the Leap Website.
- Visit your local Leap Centre to pick up a course booklet or make an appointment with an advisor who can suggest the most appropriate course for you.
What is available at a Leap Centre?
- There are 13 Leap Centres located in Suffolk, run by 5 different learning providers.
- All Centres are equipped with teaching rooms and state-of-the-art facilities.
- A range of adult learning courses take place at the Leap Centres.
- Knowledgeable, friendly and helpful staff are on hand to provide support, information and guidance to visitors.
- Appointments can be booked with National Careers Service staff for careers advice, assistance with CV writing and interview techniques.
- In addition, there are over 100 Leap Points across Suffolk. Leap Points are compact versions of the Centres offering signposting services. The Points are based mainly within libraries and children’s centres, meaning that education and training provisions are easily accessible wherever you live in the county.
A unique learning concept, helping to improve your skills and confidence
As well as gaining new skills and qualifications, taking an adult education course can help to give people direction, motivation, goals to aim for and a focus to put their effort into. The learning environment can allow people to meet others and improve their social life as well as increase communication skills and confidence levels. If someone has been out of the education system for a long time, the idea of reaching out and enquiring about courses can be very daunting. Therefore, Leap Centres aim to provide visitors with a safe and welcoming environment with friendly, competent and knowledgeable staff on hand for support and customer service.
By delivering free, impartial and high quality information and advice, Leap has had a positive impact on adults across the county who want to improve their knowledge and skills. Between August 2011 and July 2012 over 20,000 people were assisted either by phone or visits to a Leap Centre or Point.
The Leap Centres and Points are unique to Suffolk and are making a significant contribution to the county’s skills base and its prospects for economic growth.
For further information, visit the Leap Website to search the course database and find your nearest Leap Centre.